Monday, November 14, 2016

Axim, Ghana (November 14, 2016)

Axim, Ghana (November 14, 2016)

I had a wonderful past couple weeks here in this amazing country. I'm having lots of new amazing experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life. One of the biggest things that was going around, though, was the American presidential election. Ghana tries so hard to be like America it’s funny. It’s cool to see how big of a role my home country plays in this world to smaller countries like Ghana. It makes me feel so blessed to live in America. But, especially last week was hectic because of the elections. Here they have CNN only for some reason. So Ghana thinks all we do is kill blacks and kick them out of our country. I've never been asked before "how many black people I've killed," but it happened a couple of times lately. They would also ask, "Why does your country want to sack all the blacks," which means kick them out of America. My companion and I would have to calmly answer that it is not true and that we are in Ghana because we love black people. Then, we would share a nice, short message and give them a pamphlet. But I’m happy to hear that Trump got elected! God bless America!

It's hard work here. The branch I’m in has a bunch of great people. It’s just hard to make it grow. All across the church in Ghana there is corruption. It’s sad to say, and I never thought I would ever witness something like this in the church… but it’s bad. The people are so poor that when they see a lot of money or know the church has money they want it. The ward bishoprics, Branch presidency, and stake counsels especially. I've heard a lot about it from missionaries but this past week in the Axim branch we discovered the same thing. Members leave and investigators don't want to come because they know about it. Everyone in Ghana knows everything. That's just how the people are. It just makes the work so hard. But my companion and I will continue to work hard, and we will let the district branch president figure it out.

But, now for a good story. I got a bunch of glow sticks from home for Halloween, and I decided to use them to have some fun with the children. They have never seen glow sticks before, and when I cracked them they were scared of them. It was super funny. It was cute to see them running around with them and having fun. One of the many reasons why I love it here!


We have a solid baptism date coming up in 2 weeks on the 27. Her name is Naomi and she is so sweet. It has been so fun being able to teach her and to watch her progress! I know the feelings I will have when she is baptized will never be beat. I'm so grateful to be here, and I can't wait to keep working! Love you all back home and I miss you guys every day!!!


-- Elder Knecht



No comments:

Post a Comment