Monday, October 3, 2016


Axim, Ghana (October 3, 2016)


 
The mission president, President Stevenson came to Axim.






Hey everyone back home! This last week has been crazy! I am so exhausted every day, and I’m starting to realize that's how it’s going to be for the next couple years. We are working so hard, though, trying our best to build up this branch.

On Wednesday this week, my comp and I went to go do some service on a farm that belongs to one of the members. It’s not the farm you are picturing in your mind. This farm was out in the middle of the jungle on the side of a huge hill. They gave us cutlasses which are basically just machetes and told us to clear everything. Let’s just say that it was the most fun I've had so far. Those things are sharp, and I was just slicing everything. I can’t wait to bring one home. It was tiring but we cleared a lot of ground for them. I felt like I was in a movie!

This is where the week gets crazy. They gave us food when we finished to thank us. These members are very, very poor. They gave us this soup that did not taste good at all and was slimy. On top of that, there was goat intestines inside, and to top it off, they dropped in a full fish they probably just pulled out of the ocean not cooked at all. It was so hard to eat this. I cannot even describe it. But my comp and I did it. The entire meal! We thought we had made it away safely, but we both got super sick. We both had to go to the restroom at least five times during the night and throughout the day. I felt so awful. I've been trying to eat anything that resembles American food, but it doesn't exist here. We are okay now though. We both have to run back to the house occasionally for the bathroom, but we are okay.

Now, I’ll tell you the good news for the week. My comp and I cover a very large area that includes a lot of very poor villages. A lot of them can’t afford to make it to church every Sunday. The president has asked us to start a group out in the "bush" (Jungle) for the villagers to go and worship for church. His plan for this area is to eventually have it turn into a ward which will one day be in the Axim Stake. It is really cool because these people that live out there are super humble. They listen a lot better and really do feel the spirit more. We will have a lot more success if we work hard this next couple transfers. I can’t wait to see what will happen! Also, my favorite experience I've had happened last Friday! We taught an awesome lesson to two Elders in the Pentecost church while in the Pentecost church! I have never relied so much on the spirit to teach. They respected us very much and asked us to come back again to teach them! I will let you know what happens with them as well. I hope all is well back home! This place is the best! Love and miss you all.

--  Elder Knecht

















No comments:

Post a Comment